Maple Syrup Time at Deep River
This event has already passed. Please check our calendar for more fun events in the region!
March 13, 2021 - March 21, 2021
9410 Old Lincoln Highway
Hobart, IN 46342
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Saturday
- Time: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Price: Free
Maple syrup can only be produced in certain parts of the U.S. states and Canada and only at a certain time of the year. Above freezing day temperatures and below freezing night temperatures bring out maple sugar farmers and park staff toting their supply of buckets, spiles, drills, and tubing to tap the trees and gather the sap. Aren’t we lucky to be in a part of the world where climate and conditions allow us to make pure maple syrup? Come witness this special time of the year.
- Tree Tapping: Learn the magic of nature. Find out what tree sap is, which trees produce sap that can be turned into syrup, and how and when sap can be collected.
- Sugar Shack: At the Sugar Shack, science takes over! This is where sap from the tree becomes pure maple syrup fit for the breakfast table. Our wood–fired evaporator turns sap into dark amber deliciousness.
- Deep River Store: Stop in our store, once a nondenominational church built in 1904, to view items that would have been for sale in a general store from the past. Also if you would like to shop, there are lots of souvenirs to choose from.
We will be following state, local and CDC safety guidelines throughout the program. Other program activities may be added. Follow Deep River County Park’s Facebook page for program updates and self guided tour information.