South Shore to Chicago
Just a 30 minute drive from downtown Chicago, a stay in the South Shore means an affordable getaway with easy access to all the fun and excitement of the third largest city in America. Plan a daytrip to Chicago and catch a White Sox game, watch the sea otters at the Shedd Aquarium or ride the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier.
If you're driving back and forth from Chicago, take advantage of the Cline Avenue Bridge to save time on your drive by avoiding congestion on I-80/94.
South Shore Train
You can also take the South Shore train, which travels from South Bend to Millennium Station in Chicago with 20 stations along the way, including local stations in Hammond, Gary and East Chicago. Parking is free at most stations.
For more information on the South Shore Train call 219-926-5744 or visit their website here.
South Shore Train Stations
* Effective 4/18/22, the SSL will no longer require masks for passengers onboard trains or in stations pursuant to TSA guidance. If a passenger chooses to wear a mask and is in need, train crews will continue to provide masks free of charge.
When you take the train from Northwest Indiana to the Museum Campus/11th Street station in Chicago, you will find yourself by the Field Museum of Natural History, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium and Soldier Field - home to the Chicago Bears. Millennium Station at Randolph St. in Chicago is near Millennium Park, Navy Pier, the Loop and North Michigan Avenue shopping. For the Museum of Science and Industry, you would get off at the 57th Street station.
The South Shore Line will follow stringent disinfecting standards and recommends the following guidelines for passengers:
- Use hand sanitizing stations available on each train car
- Refrain from congregating in train vestibules
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose, or eyes while on train
- Wash hands frequently and follow CDC recommendations for handwashing
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or the inside of your elbow when you cough or sneeze
- Respect the personal space of all passengers to the best of your ability
- Wear a mask or face covering while in stations and while on train
South Shore Line App
The South Shore Line also has a mobile ticketing option with their app for iOS and Android.
More Transportation Options
There are more ways than the South Shore Train to visit Chicago for the day. View some options below.