Header photo from Marilyn's Bakery
Get your paczki for Fat Tuesday - February 21, 2023!
Paczki, pronounced “poonch-key,” are beloved fried pastries filled with jelly or cream, sprinkled with powdered sugar, and a Polish tradition. These pastries are tremendously popular in Northwest Indiana as we have one of the largest Polish American populations.
When I first moved to the region and everyone started talking about getting their orders in for these sweet treats that I mistakenly called “pack-skis”, I didn’t understand the craze. I, having not been Polish or been around many Polish Americans, had never heard of these wonderful, jelly-filled treats. Needless to say, after my first Fat Tuesday in the area, I understood.
Beck's Crown Bakery frying paczki
History of Paczki
Over the years, paczki has evolved more and more. Many of these bakeries make their paczki from their busha's (Polish for grandmother) recipe that has been passed down through the years. From these recipe’s they have added flavors like Oreo, mango, and peanut butter & jelly among the traditional flavors of prune, apple, and apricot.
Paczki were created to use up ingredients that many people would give up for Lent like butter, sugar and lard so that they did not go to waste. Originally, these fried goodies were made as a savory treat with bacon or pork fillings, nothing like the pastry we know today. The change came when French chefs came to Poland and created the lighter dough with sweeter fillings that we all know and love today.
Paczki by Cakes by Karen
Where to Buy Paczki in Northwest Indiana
The big question I hear around Fat Tuesday is - “Where did you get your paczki from?” So, here are some of the most well-known and raved-about bakeries in NWI.
- Munster Donuts, 8314 Calumet Ave., Munster
- Marilyn’s Bakery, 8960 E Ridge Rd., Hobart IN OR 9159 Wicker Ave., St. John
- Cakes by Karen, 8632 Kennedy Ave., Highland (2023 paczki order form - order by Feb.18)
- Beck's Crown Bakery, 1918 N. Main St., Crown Point
- Henze's Bakery, 2501 Calumet Ave., Valparaiso (2023 list of available paczki - order by Feb 18)
- Rise'n Roll - 9869 Lincoln Plaza Way, Cedar Lake, 1542 US Highway 41, Schererville OR 1320 E. Lincolnway, Valparaiso
- Pre-orders: Valparaiso 219 242-8160, Cedar Lake 219-390-7163 and Schererville 219-319-0911
You can also find them at Strack and Van Til grocery stores throughout the region.
The best thing about these treats is that in Poland, many believe it is bad luck to not eat a single Paczek (singular word for paczki) on Fat Thursday, which is Fat Tuesday in the United States, so you have an excuse to eat as many paczkis as you wish!
Share your favorite paczki with us on social media using #AlongtheSouthShore!