One of the best things about summer in the South Shore? Festivals! Plenty of food – from BBQ and gyros to funnel cakes and cotton candy and don’t forget about kids activities like parades, face painting and carnival rides. It seems that you can’t have a festival without amazing live entertainment!
We’ve put together a list of all of the great music you’ll hear this summer along the South Shore!
Hobart’s Summer Market on the Lake
Reoccurring every Thursday through August 30, 2018
111 E. Old Ridge Road, Hobart, Ind.
Enjoy an evening of outdoor shopping featuring fresh produce, baked goods, ethnic and gourmet foods, a beer garden, hand crafted goods and live entertainment from some of the region’s best bands at Hobart's Summer Market every Thursday.
The market opens at 4 p.m. and music starts to rock in the Festival Park bandshell beginning at 6 p.m. Stick around after shopping and jamming and catch a free movie in the park.
- Thursday, June 14 - High Street Band
- Thursday, June 21 - Eric Lambert
- Thursday, June 28 - Buck Daddy
- Thursday, July 12 - Mystic Fire
- Thursday, July 19 - Upside Down & Backwards
- Thursday, July 26 - Gerry Hundt Trio
- Thursday, August 2 - Tiki Tom Tom and the Pineapple Beach Party
- Thursday, August 9 - Ginter Allstars
- Thursday, August 23 - Steel Country
- Thursday, August 30 - Eaten Alive
North Township’s Summer Concert Series
Reoccurring every Thursday through September 2018
Social Center Gazebo in Wicker Park
2215 Ridge Road, Highland, Ind.
Head to the Social Center Gazebo in Highland’s Wicker Park every Thursday and you’ll catch the best bands around the region jamming to the sounds of summer. From vintage and contemporary rock to Latin soul and funky fusions, you’ll find just the tune your ears need to bask in the glory of summer along the South Shore. Tickets are available on Eventbrite.
- Thursday, June 14 - Without U2 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, June 21 - Gone 2 Paradise 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, June 28 - Southern Accents 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, July 5 - St. Jimmy, A Green Day Tribute 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, July 12 - Infinity 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, July 19 - Pearl Jam Tribute Chicago 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, July 26 - Kashmir 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 2 - Dick Diamond and the Dusters 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 9 - Trippin Billies 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 16 - Echoes of Pompeii 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, September 6 - Mexican Independence Celebration with Together 7:30 p.m.
Sheridan Plaza Concert Series
June 15 and July 20, 2018
Sheridan Avenue and 119th Street, Whiting, Ind.
Sheridan Avenue and historic 119th Street in downtown Whiting play host to the Sheridan Plaza Concert.
- Friday, June 15 - Sean Wiggins kicks off the series playing favorites from Guns N’ Roses to AC/DC, Alan Jackson to Adele from 6:30-10:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 20 - Latin Satin Soul with an evening of dancing and soulful Latin rhythm.
Want to know how else you can experience downtown Whiting? Here’s your sign: whitingevents.com
Acorn Concert Series at Gabis Arboretum
Reoccurring through August 2018
Gabis Arboretum at Purdue Northwest
450 W 100 N, Valparaiso, Ind.
The gardens of Gabis Arboretum (formerly Taltree) are the perfect backdrop for the Acorn Concert Series, which features amazing live acts on various Saturdays throughout summer. Bring a lawn chair.
You’ll love listening to an incredible range of musical acts, sipping craft brews and taste-testing some of the best food throughout Northwest Indiana at each show. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. and the concerts start at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, June 30 - Wayne Baker Brooks & The Blues Project
- Saturday, July 28 - Mr. Blotto & Gato
- Saturday, August 25 - Carl Weathersby with Corey Dennison Band and Luke Pytel Band
Broad Street Blues and BBQ Festival
June 29-July 1, 2018
698 N. Broad Street, Griffith, IN 46319
If you like the blues and a little bit of barbecue on the side, boy, do I have a festival for you. Griffith Central Park plays host to the Broad Street Blues and BBQ Festival, a free music festival brimming with amazing acts and saucy ribs.
Some of the best blues artists around the world will make their way to this annual festival, and after the show, stick around for fireworks.
Friday, June 29
- The Reggae Express 4 p.m.
- Nicole Jamrose 5:30 p.m.
- Old Friends "A Simon and Garfunkel Tribute" 7:30 p.m.
- Echoes of Pompeii "Pink Floyd Tribute" 9:30 p.m.
Saturday, June 30
- Joseph "Mojo" Morganfield (son of Muddy Waters) 1 p.m.
- Susan Williams Band 3 p.m.
- GuitarMan Blues and One Band 4:30 p.m.
- Jimmy Nick and Don’t Tell Momma 6 p.m.
- John Primer Blues 7:30 p.m.
- Billy Branch Blues 9:30 p.m.
Sunday, July 1
- Chakalyte Blues 1 p.m.
- C-Moe and The Blues Unlimited Band 3 p.m.
- The Smiley Tillmon Band with Kate Moss Music 4:30 p.m.
- Theo Huff 6 p.m.
- Lil’ Ed & The Blues Imperials 7:30 p.m.
Founders Square Park Music Series
Reoccurring Monthly in 2018
Founders Square Park
6300 Founders Square, Portage, Ind.
Food, fun, family and friends are invited to the Founders Square Park music series throughout the summer in Portage. Three musical acts will take over Founders Square Park on the first Sunday of the month through September 2. Shows begin at 3 p.m. and the jams rock until 8:30 p.m. Here’s the current line-up…
- Sunday, July 1 - Elvis/Neil tribute, dec8de and Nicole Jamrose
- Sunday, August 5 - Keytar Jeff, Oscar and The Majestics and Dixie Crush
- Sunday, September 2 - The Code Names, Smoking Suites and Middle of the Road Band
Lightning Bug Music Festival
July 1, 2018
Sunset Hill Farm County Park
775 Meridian Road, Valparaiso, Ind.
Three time Grammy Award winner Sam Bush headlines this year’s Lightning Bug Music Festival on July 1 in Valparaiso. Other acts set to play include Billy Strings, Sarah Shook & The Disarmers, Special Consensus and Chester Brown.
Advance tickets cost $36, and you can buy your tickets at the gate for $45. Proceeds benefit the Dunes Learning Center and Duneland YMCA. Find full information on the festival by visiting lightningbugmusicfestival.com.
Cedar Lake Summerfest
July 4-8, 2018
Cedar Lake Town Complex
7408 Constitution Avenue, Cedar Lake, Ind.
After you watch the annual cardboard races, stick around Cedar Lake Summerfest for live entertainment, fireworks, midway games, rides, bingo, boat parade, car show, beer garden and so much more.
Festival of the Lakes
July 18-22, 2018
The Pavilion at Wolf Lake Memorial Park
2324 Calumet Avenue, Hammond, Ind.
Huge headliners make their way to the city of Hammond each year to put on a series of free concerts for everyone and anyone. Want to meet some of the acts? You’ll want to take advantage of the VIP experience.
- Wednesday, July 18 - Tone Loc 7 p.m., Color Me Badd 8 p.m., Grandmaster Flash 9 p.m.
- Thursday, July 19 - Zombie Schoolboy 7 p.m., Lights Over Bridgeport 8 p.m., Chevelle 9 p.m.
- Friday, July 20 - Opening acts yet to be announced, Sublime with Rome 9 p.m.
- Saturday, July 21 - Opening acts yet to be announced, Nas 9 p.m.
- Sunday, July 22 - Opening acts yet to be announced, Banda Carnaval 9:30 p.m.
Porter County Fair
July 19-28, 2018
217 E Division Road, Valparaiso, Ind.
Headlining acts include one of Shazam’s “Emerging Artists of 2017,” two-time Grammy winners and even 17-time GMA Dove Award winners. Tickets for grandstand seating start as low as $45. Between the music, you can enjoy shows featuring bull riding, tractor/truck pulls, a bus demolition derby and mud/dirt drags. Also, it’s a county fair, so you know you’ll have your hands full with exhibits, animals and fair food. Check out the full schedule, or buy your tickets now.
Grandstand music entertainment:
- Thursday, July 19 - Brett Young & Ashley McBryde 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 21 - Casting Crowns and Zac Williams 7 p.m.
- Sunday, July 22 - Brooks & Dunn 7:30 p.m.
South Shore Summer Music Festival
with Northwest Symphony Orchestra
Reoccurring through August 11, 2018
This is an amazing opportunity to witness the immense talent of the Northwest Indiana Symphony Orchestra for free. The summer program features a mix of classical pieces, show tunes and patriotic songs.
Bring the kids! Plum Grove Music will supply an opportunity for children and adults to try out playing an orchestral instrument for free. Where else can you hear the beautiful crescendos of an orchestra stir with a summer breeze in the trees? Only in Northwest Indiana!
Free concert series schedule:
- Saturday, July 21 - Town Complex Grounds, 7408 Constitution Avenue, Cedar Lake 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 28 - Franciscan Communities, Corner of Main and Franciscan, Crown Point 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, August 3 - Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore's West Beach, 376 North County Line Road, Gary 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 4 - Central Park, 600 N. Broad Street. Griffith 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, August 10 - The Pavilion at Wolf Lake, Calumet Avenue and Sheffield Avenue, Hammond 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 11 - Redar Park, Austin Street north of US 30, Schererville 7:30 p.m.
Are you reading this blog now, but it’s raining? It’s okay. Here’s where to go in the event of summer showers: bit.ly/2LJrJ4t
July 27-29, 2018
119th Street, Whiting, Ind.
Nearly 300,000 annual attendees celebrate Eastern European food and culture throughout the three-day weekend with parades, games, live entertainment and more than 20 different food vendors in downtown Whiting.
Live entertainment has not been announced yet for this year’s fest, but you can visit pierogifest.net for an update, or refresh this blog!
East Chicago’s Fusic Fest
August 3-5, 2018
Jeorse Park Beach
3301 Aldis Avenue, East Chicago, Ind.
Save the date! A fusion of food, fun and music comes to East Chicago’s Jeorse Park Beach for the second annual FUSIC Fest August 3-5. Admission is free. The Cincinnati Circus also performs through the weekend, and there will be a gaming truck and more activities for kids.
- Friday, August 3 - The Zapp Band
- Saturday, August 4 - NWI Freestyle & House Party feat. Cynthia, Lisette Melendez, Robin S, Charlie Babie and hosted by DJ Tim Spinning Schommer
- Sunday, August 5 - Los Morros Del Norte y Voces Del Rancho and Iluciones
Touch of Dutch
August 10-11, 2018
112 Carnation Street SE, DeMotte, Ind.
The annual Touch of Dutch Festival is a family-fun event featuring free live entertainment, craft and food vendors, kid’s entertainment, a parade, giveaways, car show and so much more…like fireworks at dusk!
2018 Touch of Dutch Music Schedule:
- Friday, August 10 - NAWTY 7-9 p.m.
- Saturday, August 11 - The Crawpuppies 12-2 p.m., Counter Theory 4-6 p.m., Johnny DeMotte 7-9 p.m.
Goodstock Music Festival
August 18, 2018
100 S. Benton Street, Goodland, Ind.
Tickets to the Goodstock Music Festival in Goodland support the homeless, almost homeless and veterans in need. Gates open at 12 p.m. and opening ceremonials are at 1 p.m. Ticket prices have yet to be released, but the line-up for the festival is set:
- 45 RPM British Invasion 2 p.m.
- LD Miller & The Miller Band 4 p.m.
- Moving in Stereo: A Cars Tribute 6 p.m.
- RockAmerica 8 p.m.
- Henry Lee Summer 10 p.m.
August 25, 2018
The Pavilion at Wolf Lake Memorial Park
2324 Calumet Avenue, Hammond, Ind.
A summer salute to Frank Sinatra, including the original arrangements and musicians that backed Sinatra, comes to the Pavilion at Wolf Lake on August 25 at 7 p.m. Sinatra Forever features big band sounds, an amazing view on the pavilion and a beautiful night out under the stars.
Good news. You can RSVP for the concert now.
Rock ‘N’ Rail Music and Street Festival
August 30–September 2, 2018
111 N. Broad Street, Griffith, Ind.
More than 25 bands and 30+ food vendors descend on downtown Griffith for a four-day music festival. While headliners haven’t officially been announced, rumor has it that the headliner would be either Hotel California, an Eagles tribute band, or Dean Ford & The Beautiful Ones, a Prince cover band.
Follow Rock ‘N’ Rail on Facebook for all upcoming acts, or refresh this blog and look for the new content!
September 8, 2018
Porter Health Amphitheater
68 Lafayette Street, Valparaiso, Ind.
40 years of tradition crescendos for the 2018 Popcorn Festival. Miss the 90s? Get in line.
Soul Asylum headlines the festival, so you’ll get a taste of 90s grunge glory on top of the 250+ flavors of the festival’s sponsor, Chicagoland Popcorn LLC. Two live music stages will keep the nation’s first Popcorn Parade and celebration rolling through the night.
Live entertainment begins at noon and lasts until 6:30 p.m.