Thanksgiving week is full of activities between cooking, eating and starting your holiday shopping. But if you’re looking for more to do this week – either for grown up fun or just something to keep the kids busy during the long weekend – we got you covered!
Thanksgiving Day Brunches and Buffets
If your family would prefer for someone else to do the cooking on Thanksgiving, the Region is happy to oblige! Below you’ll find some of the places serving brunches or buffets on Thanksgiving:
- Center for Visual and Performing Arts, Munster
- The Patrician Banquet Center, Schererville
- True BBQ & Whiskey Bar, Munster
Work off that Thanksgiving Dinner
If you want to burn off the calories from your meal, we have a couple of options for you:
- Friendship Botanic Gardens in Michigan City has a Thanksgiving Turkey Walk where you can embark on a turkey count scavenger hunt and view their Native American Heritage Garden where demonstrations will be taking place.
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is offering a Black Friday Opt-Outside Hike at West Beach, a Turkey Trot Hike on Saturday or Pinhook Upland Trail Hike on Sunday.
- If you prefer to walk while starting some of your Christmas shopping, head out to Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets in Michigan City for their After-Thanksgiving Weekend Sale. Lubeznik Center for the Arts nearby has their Holiday Artisan Market going on as well.
Thanksgiving Weekend Events
Over the weekend there are plenty of other events for you and your family to enjoy. Below are just a few of those!
- Visit with Santa at the annual “A Christmas Story” Comes Home exhibit in Hammond
- City of Crown Point celebrates with a Winter Market
- Town of Chesterton’s European Market has a Hometown Holidays Market
- A Model Train Show is at the Lake County Fairgrounds in Crown Point
More Things to Do with the Family
Still need more to do? Alright, here are some other ideas to keep the family busy this weekend:
- Ice Skating – offered at Midwest Training and Ice in Dyer, Deep River Waterpark in Crown Point or at Central Park Plaza in downtown Valpariaso.
- The "Miracle" of Theater – Choose between "Miracle on 34th Street The Musical" at Theatre at the Center in Munster or "A Charlie Brown Christmas" at Chicago Street Theater in Valparaiso.
- Day at the Farm – if you have a whole day to entertain family, head down to Fair Oaks Farms to one or more of their adventures and delicious meal options.
For the 21 and Over Crowd - Black Wednesdays and Fridays at the Breweries
The local breweries are prepared to start your holiday off right with specials and entertainment the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Here are some suggestions:
- Black Wednesday at Bulldog Brewing, Whiting
- Black Wednesday with Sticky Scissors at Off Square Brewing
- Thanksgiving Eve with Hot Sauce at Pokro Brewing Company
If you prefer to wait to enjoy your craft beer on Black Friday, here are some options:
- Black Friday Beer and Breakfast at Pokro Brewing Company
- Laugh Local at Crown Brewing
- 2018 BA Russian Imperial Stout with Maple Syrup Release at New Oberpfalz
- Black Friday party for the release of Russian Imperial Stout at Ironwood Brewing
However you decide to fill your Thanksgiving Week along the south shore of Lake Michigan, we hope you enjoy it!