Thanksgiving week is full of activities between cooking, eating and starting your holiday shopping. But if you’re looking for more to do this week – either for grown up fun or just something to keep the kids busy during the long weekend – we got you covered!
Thanksgiving Day Brunches and Buffets
If your family would prefer for someone else to do the cooking on Thanksgiving, the Region is happy to oblige! Below you’ll find some of the places serving brunches or buffets on Thanksgiving:
- Center for Visual and Performing Arts, Munster
- The Patrician Banquet Center, Schererville
- White Hawk Country Club, Crown Point
Work off that Thanksgiving Dinner
If you want to burn off the calories from your meal, we have a couple of options for you:
- Friendship Botanic Gardens in Michigan City has a Thanksgiving Turkey Walk and Native American Heritage Celebration where you can embark on a turkey count scavenger hunt and view their Native American Heritage Garden where demonstrations will be taking place.
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is offering a Black Friday Opt-Outside Hike at West Beach, a Turkey Trot Hike on Saturday or Pinhook Upland Trail Hike on Sunday. The State Park has a High Dunes Hike on Friday.
- If you prefer to walk while starting some of your Christmas shopping, Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets in Michigan City starts their deals at 6pm on Thanksgiving and continue for Midnight Madness on Friday. Lubeznik Center, also in Michigan City, has their Holiday Artisan Market going on as well.
Thanksgiving Weekend Events
Over the weekend there are plenty of other events for you and your family to enjoy. Below are just a few of those!
- Visit with Santa at the annual “A Christmas Story” Comes Home exhibit in Hammond
- City of Crown Point celebrates with a Santa Parade and Winter Market
- Town of Chesterton’s European Market has a Hometown Holidays Market
- A Model Train Show is at the Lake County Fairgrounds in Crown Point
- J’s Breakfast Club in Gary is hosting a Small Business Spotlight Holiday Bazaar
- Indiana Dunes State Park has a Turkey Talk on Saturday or Thanksgiving for the Birds on Sunday
More Things to Do with the Family
Still need more to do? Alright, here are some other ideas to keep the family busy this weekend:
- Ice Skating – offered at Midwest Training and Ice in Dyer, Deep River Waterpark in Crown Point or at Central Park Plaza in downtown Valpariaso.
- "Wonderful" Theater – Choose between "A Wonderful Life: The Musical" at Theatre at the Center in Munster or "It’s A Wonderful Life" at Chicago Street Theater in Valparaiso.
- Day at the Farm – if you have a whole day to entertain family, head down to Fair Oaks Farms to one or more of their adventures and delicious meal options.
For the 21 and Over Crowd - Black Wednesday and Friday Nights at the Breweries
The local breweries are prepared to start your holiday off right with specials and entertainment the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Here are some suggestions:
- Black Wednesday at Bulldog Brewing, Whiting
- Blackout Wednesday at St. John Malt Brothers, St. John
- Black Wednesday Party with One Timer at Wildrose Brewing, Griffith
- Black Wednesday Barrel Aged Beer Tap Takeover at DOC'S Smokehouse and Craft Bar, Dyer
If you prefer to wait to enjoy your craft beer on Black Friday, here are some options:
- Muddsharks returns to Wildrose Brewing in Griffith.
- Crown Brewing in Crown Point has several Black Friday specials and also deals on gift cards and Last Call T-shirts.
- Ironwood Brewing in Valparaiso has their Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout release.
However you decide to fill your Thanksgiving Week along the south shore of Lake Michigan, we hope you enjoy it!