Looking for a special way to celebrate New Year's Eve in Northwest Indiana? As we all know, 2020 looks a little different than previous years, but there are a few New Year's Eve events taking place. We also have some ideas for enjoying the day around the region, and ways to celebrate at home while supporting local businesses!
New Year's Eve Events
Fenwick Farms New Year's Eve Dinner
Kiss 2020 goodbye for good and start your New Year's celebration at Fenwick Farms Brewing Company in Rensselaer! Just you and your partner, double date or close friends you want to usher in 2021 with. Dinner includes a first course, main course with filet mignon and lobster tail, sides of asparagus and potatoes plus a creamy cheesecake to share. Cost is $80 ($20 reservation ticket will be deducted from your tab.) Limited space available so reserve your ticket today!
This year, the Pierogi Drop in Whiting will be an outdoor event only with a countdown clock, music, a spectacular firework display and, of course, a 10-foot illuminated Pierogi dropping 90 feet at midnight! Music will start at 8:00 PM. Find your spot to socially distance and ring in 2021 with the Pierogi Drop from the Knights of Columbus.
New Year's Eve Fireworks
The Town of Highland will have a fireworks display behind the high school this year on New Year’s Eve. Bring the family to enjoy the midnight show. Highland High School is located at 9135 Erie St.
Fun Activities for New Year's Eve
Although Deep River Waterpark, Bellaboo's and Fair Oaks Farms are not holding their usual New Year's Eve celebrations, they will still be open New Year's Eve for families to come and enjoy some time together!
Skate into the New Year
Deep River Waterpark will be open for ice skating between noon-4:00 p.m. or 4:30-8:30 p.m. You must reserve your skate time online this year - make sure to buy your session by ending time (that's the way their software works). Find out more here.
Play Date with the Kids
Bellaboo’s Discovery and Play Center, just off I-65 and I-80/94 in Lake Station, will be open during the day from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Spend a special day connecting with your little ones playing and using your imagination. Capacity is currently limited to 50% and masks are required.
Holiday on the Farm
At Fair Oaks Farms this year, you can enjoy walking through their Holiday Lights displays. They've lit up the farm for the holidays and added some warming stations with bonfires, s'mores and hot chocolate. You can also go on a Dairy, Pig or Crop Adventure and grab some dinner at the Farmhouse Restaurant. Reservations are recommended for dinner by calling 219-394-3663. If you want to make a mini-getaway out of it, spend the night at the Fairfield by Marriott onsite.
Ideas for a Celebration at Home
Ring in the New Year with your family, partner or friend from the comfort of your own home! Here are some ideas to make it a fun and memorable night while still supporting local businesses in the area.
- Create a buffet of snacks from around the region. Include some candy and nuts from Albanese, popcorn at ChicagoLand Popcorn, desserts from Cute as a Cupcake (all three down 30 in Merrillville) and maybe a tray of cheeses, meats and more from a place like Charcuterie in Griffith.
- For a fun night with the kids, create a treasure hunt with small bags of candy and popcorn hidden throughout the house with clues to find them all. You can also find some crafts to do or make some NYE decorations to put up.
- Pick up a new game to try at places such as Toys in the Attic in Crown Point, Hobart and Valparaiso or Mind Benders in Whiting.
- String some lights around the room, throw a bunch of pillows and blankets on the floor and enjoy some time together watching movies.
- Carryout a delicious dinner at a region restaurant if you don't want to cook, maybe try one that you haven't been to before.
If you're ringing in the new year with a partner or friend, make sure to pick up some drinks to celebrate! Stop by one of the local breweries or wineries to grab your favorites or try something new. If you're with the kids, pick them up some hot chocolate from a local coffee shop.
Miss going out on NYE? Get out of your PJ pants and throw on a party outfit to get in the mood, then put on some music and dance and sing for a while.
Have a spa night with a friend. Stop by a local spa that sells products such as State of Mind in Crown Point or a beauty supply store to pick up some items. Find a couple comfy robes and slippers, and get ready for a fun night of pampering.
- If you have friends or family who are also celebrating at home, come together on a zoom or facetime close to midnight to all ring in the new year together.
- In the morning, visit a restaurant for brunch, carry it out or make some at home.
- If you want some activities to do New Year's Day, visit our A to Z list of things to do this winter!
From our family to yours, we wish all of you a happy and healthy new year!